Ars Nova Workshop and Bartram’s Garden invite you to Moon Garden, a free evening-length festival built around a special outdoor performance by legendary jazz musician Steve Coleman and his band, Five Elements. Playing under the night sky, Coleman will draw inspiration from the shadowy force of the moon.
ARTIST TALK AT 6 PM. CONCERT AT 7 PM.
Steve Coleman & Five Elements
Steve Coleman: alto saxophone
Jonathan Finlayson: trumpet
Miles Okazaki: guitar
Anthony Tidd: bass
Sean Rickman: drums
Ars Nova Workshop and Bartram’s Garden invite you to Moon Garden, a free evening-length festival built around a special outdoor performance by the extraordinary Steve Coleman and his band, Five Elements. In celebration of the autumn equinox and his 59th birthday, Coleman – whose compositions draw upon lunar cycles patterns and the relationships of the planets in our solar system – will perform under the night sky at Bartram’s Garden.
After the show is over, you’ll have the opportunity to experience the garden as you never have before:
- Kayak and rowboat after sunset on the gentle waters of the tidal Schuylkill
- Take home the plants and the knowledge to grow a moon garden for moths and other nighttime pollinators
- Entomologist Dan Duran will be on hand for rare peek at nocturnal insects lured into our black light trap
- Join us for free guided night time tour of the garden
- Eat free ice cream from Little Baby’s
- Purchase variety of delicious foods and beverages from our vendors.
Bartram’s Garden at night is a magical place. Come out and join us for this unique event!
How can such A little remote body as ye moon in such A little time move ye far greater part of ye surface of our much greater Globe; I should rather think that our earth and waters hath much greater influence upon ye moon than it has upon us…
— John Bartram to Linnaeus, ca. October 1773.