Join Our Team
Bartram’s Garden is a 50+ acre public garden in Southwest Philadelphia, situated on Lenape territory on the banks of the lower Schuylkill River. It is a venue for art, an access to the tidal river and wetlands, an outdoor classroom and a living laboratory. Bartram’s Garden attempts to hold the colonial legacy of the land with a commitment to learn and share the whole truth about of the plants of Southwest Philadelphia and the people who grow them.
Since 2012 the Garden has hosted an award-winning, culturally relevant paid youth internship, employing more than 150 local high school students since the program’s inception and maintaining a 4-year graduation rate of 95%, in stark contrast to the local school’s 59%. Today, the Garden employs roughly 40 local students annually through parallel programs with the Sankofa Community Farm and Denkyem River Guardians, with students focusing not only on technical skills like urban agriculture and watershed health but also on personal learning like public speaking, cultural traditions, and team-building. In addition, the Garden has successfully stewarded its Royal by Nature partnership since 2018 to provide safe, creative summertime engagement for younger students from our immediate neighborhood.
Bartram’s Garden is seeking a Youth Advocate to further this area of our work. The Youth Advocate will report to the Director of Finance and HR and will work closely with youth program staff and partners to complement hands-on programming with career-development, life-skills training and mental-health supports
Core Responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with program directors to recruit, hire, and retain youth interns.
- Refer students to external mental health, tutoring, and youth development services as needed
- Develop, lead, and coordinate regular career-development and life-skills programming
- Serve as a resource to Bartram’s staff on youth support and education best practices
- Partner with Community Partnerships Manager to develop and facilitate educational and recreational programming for neighborhood youth
- Ensure documentation and compliance with all policies and procedures, including confidentiality and reporting suspected abuse in accordance with policies
- Other duties and projects as necessary
- Master of Social Work Degree, or Bachelors plus at least 3 years related professional experience
- Experience working with children, youth, and families
- Experience with diverse communities including race, ethnicity, class, gender, religion, orientation, place of origin
- PA Criminal Background Check, Federal Bureau of Investigation Clearance, PA Child Abuse Clearance
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook).
- Familiarity with Philadelphia child welfare system
- Personal or professional familiarity with Southwest Philadelphia
- Preferred but not required: PA Driver’s License
- Preferred but not required: Red Cross CPR, First Aid certification
Schedule and Compensation
This is a new, hourly position currently funded through August 2021, with the potential to extend to a year-round position. The anticipated schedule is for 30-35 hours per week at a rate of $25-$28/hour depending on experience. Our site is open daily, and the Youth Advocate position requires schedule flexibility to include occasional holidays, weekends, early mornings and late nights.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and list of at least three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through February 28th, 2021.